Summer in the Sunshine State; sun, surf, sand and…storms! Storm season has arrived.
There’s no summer in Queensland without storms and even though avoiding them is impossible, there are steps you can take to prepare your home and yard best you can before Mother Nature dishes out her almighty wind, rain, thunder and lightening show! Storm season has arrived.
Storm season in Queensland generally hits in October – March. There is no telling when the hardest storms will hit so it’s important to be prepared for all storms and the simplest way to do this is to complete this storm season safety checklist prior the season hitting.
Checklist for your home:
- My roof has been inspected, is in good condition and all repairs that were required have been carried out,
- All of the gutters and downpipes are completely clear of leaves and debris, so water can quickly drain away from the home,
- All overhanging branches near the home have been trimmed back and removed from the property,
- All loose items in the garden and around the home have been secured to avoid them being picked up by strong winds,
- All home, contents and vehicle insurances are up to date and cover us in the event of a storm,
- I have a storm emergency pack consisting of food, water, a first aid kit, blankets, medications, a torch, spare batteries, important phone numbers and important documents,
- I know where the safest room in the house to shelter is in the event of a severe storm,
- I have protected by home best I can against flooding and know where to get resources such as sandbags if required,
- I know where the mains supply for water, power and gas is and how to turn it off if necessary and safe to do so.
Taking these precautions will help protect your family, home and assets throughout this years storm season!